With 26 World Cup victories and four World Championship titles, Brian Lopes has won more races than any other mountain biker. From the ﬁrst time his father took him to a BMX track in 1975 he was addicted. Brian Lopes has had an unprecedented 20 year career as a professional cyclist, he has been labeled "Undisputedly the best all around world class cycling athlete" by USA Today.
On the Bike
Having raced BMX for most of his childhood, Brian started his bike racing at the tender age of 4, turning Pro at the age of 17 and competing in the BMX circuit for seven years before channeling his efforts in 1993 to mountain biking. Lope's first MTB race earned him a name and fifth place. He then went straight on to win a Norba National, and never looked back.
He has won over 19 titles in his mountain biking career; Nine National Championship titles, six UCI World Cup wins and four UCI Mountain Bike World Champion titles, first in 2001, then again in 2002, 2005 and most currently in 2007. Brian has more UCI World Cup career wins than any other male mountain biker in the history of the sport.
Nominated in 2001 for an ESPY "Action sport Athlete of the Year", won two NEA (World Extreme Sports Award) for "Mountain Biker of the Year" in 2000 & 2001 and is featured in SONY PlayStation "Downhill Domination" as himself. In 2008 was been inducted into the Mountain Bike and BMX Hall of Fame.
- 1989 Won both the BMX ABA and NBL Grands
- 1993 First MTB race, beats Hans Rey
- 1995 NORBA National Series Champion in both DH and Slalom.
- 1996 NORBAN National Series Champion in DH
- 1997 NORBA National Series Champion in DS
- 1998 NORBA National Series Champion in DH
- 1998 UCI World Cup Champion in Dual
- 1999 NORBA National Series Champion in DS
- 2000 Norba National Series Champion in DS
- 2000 UCI World Cup Champion in DS
- 2001 UCI World Cup Champion and World Champion in Dual Slalom
- 2002 UCI World Champion BX
- 2004 US National Champion in 4X
- 2005 UCI World Cup Champion & World Champion in 4X
- 2005 Published Co-Author of "Mastering Mountain Bike Skills"
- 2007 UCI World Cup Champion & World Champion in 4X
- 2008 Inducted in to the BMX & Mountain Bike Hall of Fame
- 2012 26th UCI World Cup Win: Sprint Eliminator